Joyce N. Boghosian photographer. Source: www.whitehouse.gov

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Skill Or Be Skilled

In contemplating one’s place in the Work Force, it is advisable to make an assessment of one’s skills in varying levels. There are, of course, practical skills which empower one to perform a specific job requiring those skills. However, there are other personal attributes to consider when evaluating one’s “tools for the trades.” In Thinking Through Communication, Sarah Trenholm lists three categories of skills that a job applicant should consider when analyzing his self-worth. These categories are: work-content skills, transferable skills and self-management skills (2008,p. 234). I shall attempt an honest evaluation of myself to determine what tools I possess in each of these areas, and try to predict how I might best use them in my search for employment.

As an actor, throughout the years, I have had to acquire what we call “straight jobs”, jobs that allow one to keep body and soul together while pursuing that elusive and frustrating entity, an Acting Career. I have been able to hold some surprisingly responsible positions considering that my employers knew of my pursuits and valued my abilities enough to allow me the flexibility to pursue them. The two positions of the greatest stature and duration were as the supervisor for ten years of a warehouse facility and the shipping supervisor for a high-end furniture manufacturer for seven years.

For the first position, I needed several “work-content”, or job-specific, skills. I created the operation from its inception and so had to order shelving units; set up the floor plan; organize the layout of the different merchandise; purchase a vehicle for deliveries; work with the owner to create a software program for inventory control and more. This was 1984, so I was just becoming familiar with computer usage, and not terribly technologically proficient; but I did some learning on the job. One main focus was keeping track of inventory and making sure the four retail locations for Crabtree & Evelyn were always sufficiently stocked. I also had to learn how to manage others as I had one full-time subordinate and an additional two or more at Christmastime. I was not very good at this and took a long time to improve.

For the position as shipping supervisor, my computer skills were very important as I eventually developed many templates and other documents to keep the system organized. I even assisted our IT person in his creating a custom application for shipping which was also used by the other production people to monitor order status. I also had to use my organizational skills to revamp the physical layout of the facility and had new storage areas constructed. Communication, however, was one of the most important components of my position as I had to coordinate with our heads of production, the furniture designers located throughout the U. S. and shipping companies who would transport the finished goods.

As far as what Trenholm calls “transferable” skills, or those that are valuable in any work situation, I would include: the ability to organize, to find solutions, to communicate well and to be efficient. When I put my mind to a task of overseeing and restructuring, either a system or a physical setup, I seem to be able to visualize what the end results should be and then steam ahead and implement those changes. When I became the shipping supervisor, I immediately saw that the system in place was terribly inefficient and set out to correct it. I created a very unified, logical process and took a strong hand in insisting that everyone get on board and cooperate. The result was tremendous and obvious. I got many accolades from without the company for how I’d turned things around and created such an efficient organization.

My communication abilities came in to play as I’d had to create many documents and also create and send memos to designers and carriers (transporters) to elaborate on how things would work, as well as providing important and detailed information regarding the merchandise.
I believe I do well in the communication area as I feel I express myself adequately and professionally, and I am clear in the messages I send.

My “self-management” attributes, or personal strengths, are that I have a good work ethic; I am responsible and very resourceful; and my curiosity makes me enjoy being a detective, I love figuring out things on my own. My resourcefulness helped me perform the two major jobs as I had had no prior experience in either field whatsoever. I went in, assessed the situation, and somehow figured out how to do them. Another example of this is that a friend who owns a business training individuals and groups (e.g. Warner Brothers and NBC/Universal Studios) told me a few years ago that if I were capable, she could offer me a position as an instructor. I taught myself how to use the applications Excel, PowerPoint and Visio so that I could then teach, and have been teaching this part-time for four years now. As I am currently seeking employment, my resourcefulness is the strongest quality I feel I bring to the table; that finding myself in a new work environment, I shall be able to quickly “get a feel for the landscape” and realize what is needed from me. Unfortunately, trying to cross over into a new field may not be very easy as Darren Buchanan from Hays Recruitment, a British-based International, states, "This is not the time to make a sideways move to a different career or industry. Instead, use your skills and experience to show potential employers you are a tried and tested candidate" (Proquest Database: Townsville bulletin. 2009).

I do have another potential aid in becoming a successful employee if and when I acquire a new position: I have some newly learned communicating skills. As I stated earlier, I was not initially a very successful manager of others. Now, however, I am more aware of how I am being interpreted by others, as well as knowing that I have to be more conscious of how I send messages, both upward as well as downward in a professional environment.

I have been doing a lot of self-analysis as far as my abilities in the employment world go, as I have had to list many of these on my recently-created resume. I know that I have the ability to assume most jobs offered me by applying my personal abilities. However, the difficult part is convincing those hiring to take a chance on my intangible credentials. It has been an uphill battle so far, but I am sticking my nose to the grindstone and persevering, hoping to find someone to give me that opportunity. Do I have enough going for me? Time will tell.



References

Anonymous (2009). Townsville Bulletin: Townsville Qld. Retrieved November 22, 2009 from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=1897879311&sid=2&Fmt=3&clientId=74379&RQT=309&VName=PQD

Trenholm, Sarah (2008). Thinking through communication: an introduction to the study of human communication. Boston: Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment